Oh my, doesn’t that look good!?!? That’s what I had in my mind, but I didn’t have an ice cream machine in mind. I know it’s not a whole lot of work to use the ice cream machine, whether it’s churned by hand or machine, but I’ve been busy!
Introducing, Junket Rennet Tablets! My Amish friend told me to get this to make cheese. This is not the rennet I use to make cheese, by the way, it is very weak and you need 4x the amount called for. You might as well buy the regular rennet for cheese making, but this is wonderful for making ice cream or custard!
I happened to find it at the store (in the ice cream section or by the puddings), saw the ice cream recipe and picked it up – only $1.85 for this whole pack! It comes in these foil wraps and the ice cream recipe right in the box! I can make 2 gallons of ice cream with this one box of Junket Rennet!
How easy is that?! There’s even some suggestions for flavored ice creams. Mmmm! I’m picking up some fresh strawberries today, I think I need to make some more!
The recipe is very easy to follow and took very little time to put together. The hardest part was letting it freeze long enough to have a bowl!
Tomorrow, I’ll show you how to make the caramel and chocolate syrups to complete this great late night snack!
Get the ice cream made today!
Here's the full recipe and printable!
Ice Cream, Homemade with No Machine
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 quart
- 1 Junket rennet tablet
- 1 Tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dissolve Rennet Table in water by crushing. Set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients in saucepan.
- Heat while stirring to lukewarm (110 F).
- Stir in dissolved Rennet Tablet and quickly pour into a 9 x 5 x 3 inch pan.
- Let stand undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Place pan in freezer and freeze until firm.
- Break into chunks with fork.
- In small bowl or electric mixer, beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Return mixture to pan and freeze until firm.