More cooking! You would think this was a cooking blog. I’ve just been in the mood for different things this past week and, of course, had to find the homemade version–and share with you! For some reason, everything I have been in the mood for has been deep fried. Oh well, a girl has cravings!
John always makes homemade fries, but tater tots are just a little different–I don’t know why, they’re both potatoes. There’s different ways to making tots, but I’m making these ones with partially cooked potatoes. Next time, and there will be a next time, I’m going to try with raw potatoes. I will report back my findings!
How to make Cheesy Tater Tots:
Cover 3 washed medium potatoes with water; bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes until tender.
Take out of water, let cool until they’re able to be handled and peel. It’s much easier to peel after they’re cooked and you don’t waste any potato.
Grate the potatoes. These 3 potatoes gave me 3 cups of shredded potatoes. Normally, I leave the peel on the potatoes, but they just didn’t want to go through the grater.
Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese (any kind you’d like!) and 1 teaspoon; stir together.
Roll into balls, ovals, whatever shape you want–as big or as small as you’d like. By making them a little bit bigger than a store bought tater tot, my recipe made 21 tots.
Place onto a sheet and refrigerate for about 1/2 hour.
Combine 1/2 cup flour and another teaspoon. See why I’m using the no-salt version?
Dredge the tots through the flour, lightly rolling around.
Place in hot oil (375F), cooking until nice, golden brown and crispy. The potato is cooked, we’re only looking to get the outside brown and crisp. Make sure your oil is hot to begin with or they won’t crisp and will fall apart from the potato getting too done and mushy.
There you go! Homemade Cheesy Tater Tots–not much time and oh, so much better than even Ore Ida!
I’m canning tomato juice today, so there won’t be a deep fried post tomorrow, maybe some tomato juice!
Here's the full recipe and printable!
Cheesy Tater Tots
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Approx 24 tater tots
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, any kind
- 2 teaspoons no-salt homemade version) (
- 1/2 cup flour
- Cover potatoes with water; bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes until tender.
- Take out of water, let cool until they're able to be handled and peel.
- Grate the potatoes.
- Add cheese and 1 teaspoon seasoning salt; stir together.
- Roll into balls, ovals, whatever shape you want--as big or as small as you'd like.
- Place onto a sheet and refrigerate for about 1/2 hour.
- Combine flour and another teaspoon seasoning salt.
- Dredge the tots through the flour, lightly rolling around.
- Place in hot oil (375F), cooking until nice, golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from oil and drain.